Scottsdale Public Art

Permanent Art

An Abstraction

An Abstraction was commissioned by the Fine Arts Commission from funds received in memory of the late Nikki Song Peters. She lived across the street from the artist and was a good friend of his daughter. The sculpture is made of wrought iron fashioned by the old blacksmithing method. No welding was utilized, but every piece was hand-forged on the anvil for the purpose of shaping and tapering. The two decorative triangular pieces which are framed by the rods were cast in iron and made after the framework was assembled. The piece was located on the Civic Center Library grounds for many years, but when the Mall was remodeled in 1992, it was put into storage until it was restored and re-sited in 2005.

 

Raymond Phillips Sanderson was born in 1908 in Bowling Green, Missouri. He studied at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Kansas City Art Institute. In 1935 he moved to Bisbee, and later to Scottsdale where he lived until 1973. He was known for wood and bronze sculpture and mural painting.

More Art Close By

Stay Informed

Sign up for our newsletter to receive updates on events, exhibitions, tours, workshops and calls for entry.